Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Purple Communications, Inc. ("we," "our," "Purple") is committed to protecting our users' and visitors' privacy. This policy explains how we collect, use, share, and disclose personal information about you when you interact with or use our websites, products, and services.
1. Personal Information We Collect
We collect and use personal information about you to facilitate your use of our products and services and for our business and commercial purposes. "Personal information" for the purposes of this policy means any information that could help us directly or indirectly identify you. Information that does not identify an individual is not personal information. This includes aggregate consumer information, meaning information that relates to a group or category of individuals, from which individual identities have been removed, that is not linked or reasonably linkable to any individual or, as applicable only to California residents, to any household, including via a device.
We may collect the following categories of personal information about you:
• Identifiers and similar information such as your name, address, phone number, date of birth, email address, IP address, online identifiers or other similar identifiers.
• Certain information protected under federal or state laws, including government identification documents like a driver's license, a signature, or financial information.
• Characteristics of protected classifications under federal or certain state laws, including gender or disability.
• Commercial information, including records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing histories or tendencies, including statistics on your usage of our services (e.g., minutes of use).
• Internet or other electronic network activity information, including information regarding your interaction with our website; your type of computer and type of web browser; and your usage of our services (e.g., telephone numbers or IP address called and date, time, and duration of call).
• Geolocation data (e.g., the physical location from which you access Purple's video relay services).
• Inferences drawn from any of the categories of information identified above to create a profile reflecting your preferences or similar characteristics, including information on your potential interest in new Purple products or services.
2. Sources of Personal Information
We may collect personal information directly from you or others acting on your behalf when you choose to: (i) use, register for, or purchase a service or product offered by Purple; (ii) send an email, fill out online forms, participate in surveys, or engage in other transactions or interactions with Purple or our service providers; or (iii) view or use our website, regardless whether you register or submit any personal information, in which case we will collect certain personal information and aggregate information (e.g., IP addresses) through cookies or other Web devices. We also may collect personal information from other sources as permitted by law, including our affiliates, regulatory authorities, third parties we interact with to provide you services (e.g., a hospital or other institution that uses our services at your direction to facilitate your care), or public websites or publicly available sources like government records.
In order to access certain Purple services, including video relay services, you have to complete an application or other registration form(s) and provide certain information reasonably necessary for us to provide the products and/or services you requested. We may collect the following types of information in registration form(s) and when you use our products or services: your name, your address(es) (i.e., physical location from where you access Purple services), your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, your email address(es), your phone number(s), your IP address(es), and your usage of our services (including quantity, technical configuration, type, destination, location, and amount of use). The information gathered from your use of our services is known as Customer Proprietary Network Information ("CPNI").
3. Purposes for Collecting and Using Personal Information
Purple may collect or use your personal information for various business or commercial purposes, including to provide you with our products and services and to respond to your questions. We also use the information for editorial and feedback purposes, for marketing and promotional purposes, to inform advertisers as to how many visitors have seen or clicked on their advertisements, and to customize the content and layout of Purple's website. We also use the information we collect for statistical analysis of users' behavior, for product development, for content improvement, to ensure our products and services remain functioning and secure, and to investigate and protect against any illegal activities or violations of our Terms of Service. Purple may also use personal information in connection with federal or other legal requirements, such as responding to a subpoena or court order, providing information as required by Federal Communications Commission ("FCC") regulations, or providing information for purposes of emergency communications. Aggregate data on home servers may be used for internal purposes or provided to third parties such as advertisers.
Personal information which visitors voluntarily provide to Purple (e.g., names, postal and email addresses, phone numbers) may be added to Purple's databases and used for future calls and mailings regarding website updates, new products and services, upcoming events, and status of orders placed online. With regard to the purposes for collecting and using personal information categorized as CPNI, please see below Section 8, "Use of Customer Proprietary Network Information."
4. Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose information, including personal information, about you to: (i) businesses that provide services to us in connection with those services; (ii) regulators, other government agencies, or law enforcement as required or permitted by law, including the FCC and its service providers; (iii) our affiliates, meaning entities that are directly or indirectly controlled by us or who share common control with us, for the purposes detailed and subject to the limitations in this Policy; (iv) other parties in connection with a civil, criminal, or regulatory inquiry, investigation, subpoena, or summons; and (v) other parties at your direction or with your consent or as otherwise required or permitted by law. As indicated above, pursuant to FCC regulations we may disclose certain information, including personal information, to authorized companies or independent contractors ("authorized third parties") in order to: (i) provide you with video relay products and services; (ii) install, maintain and repair our products and services; (iii) offer you additional video relay features and services of the type you already registered for with Purple; (iv) process 911 calls; or (v) process information on our behalf. These authorized third parties have agreed to certain confidentiality protections.
Aside from authorized third parties, Purple also may disclose to third parties information in aggregate form, that is publicly available, and/or that you intentionally direct Purple to disclose.
6. Analytics and Advertising Information
We work with partners, including Google Analytics and Facebook Business Services, that provide us with certain analytics and advertising services. These partners collect certain information to help us understand how you and others interact with our website, serve advertisements on our behalf on different internet platforms, and measure the performance of those advertisements. They may do so through cookies and similar tools used to collect internet or other electronic network activity information (e.g., IP addresses, access times, or pages visited). You can control or limit the collection of your information through these tools by changing the settings on your browser or device, as specified above in Section 5.[ You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here and how to prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to the use or our website by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available here. You can also control which ads you receive on Facebook through your Facebook settings, available here.]
7. Links to Other Website
8. Reasonable Security Measures
Purple will take reasonable steps and use security measures appropriate to the nature of the information at issue and that comply with applicable laws to protect customers' personal information against unauthorized access and exfiltration, acquisition, theft, or disclosure. Given the nature of information security, there is no guarantee that such safeguards always will be successful.
9. Collection, Use, and Sharing of Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI)
CPNI is information that Purple and other relay providers obtain when providing customers with relay service. CPNI includes the types of relay a customer uses, the amount of relay calls made, and the location of those calls.
Purple will access, use, share, or disclose CPNI under the following limited circumstances: (i) to provide you with video relay service and phones; (ii) to process 911 calls; (iii) for installation, maintenance and repair of our products and services; (iv) to offer you additional video relay features and services of the type you already registered for with Purple; (v) in response to legal requirements such as subpoena or court order; (vi) upon request from the FCC's Telecommunications Relay Service ("TRS") Fund; (vii) to prevent fraud, abuse, or misuse of the service(s); and (viii) to protect the rights and property of Purple.
Purple and its affiliates may also use your CPNI to offer you products and services that may be different from the types of services you already use. Purple asks for your consent to do this during your registration process. Your denial or approval will not affect Purple's provision of video relay services to you. At any time, you may choose to opt out of use of your CPNI for marketing purposes. Your approval or denial is valid until you choose to change it.
Customers have the right to deny any TRS provider the right to use, disclose, or permit access to customer CPNI for certain marketing purposes. TRS providers have a duty under federal law to honor your right to do so and to protect the confidentiality of CPNI.
If you wish to restrict Purple's use of your CPNI for marketing purposes, you may do the following:
1. Login at www.Purple.com;
2. Go to the Email & Password section of your User Profile; and
3. Uncheck the CPNI Opt-in checkbox.
Alternatively, you may contact Purple Customer Care at 866-932-7891
10. Opt-Out Right and Access to and Ability to Correct Personal Information
firstname.lastname@example.orgVisitors may opt out of having their personal information collected by Purple disclosed to third parties, or used by Purple or third parties to send promotional correspondences to the visitor, by contacting Purple via postal mail, email at the addresses below, or telephone 866-932-7891, or by checking the appropriate "opt-out" box in the User Profile page. Upon request via postal mail, email, or phone, Purple will provide to visitors a summary of any personal information retained by Purple regarding the visitor. Visitors may modify, correct, change or update their personal record or cause their personal record to be removed from Purple's database. Purple will only send personal records to the email address on file for the visitor name associated with it. Visitors may also submit request to opt-out via postal mail at: Purple, 11900 N. Jollyville Road #204209, Austin, TX 78759 Attn: Marketing Department or email at email@example.com
11. Collection of Personal Information from Children
Purple does not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from individuals under the age of 18 without parental consent. If you are under the age of 18, you are not authorized to register for Purple's services, or submit any other information to us, via our website.
If you are the parent or guardian of a deaf or hard of hearing child under the age of 18 who wishes to use Purple's products or services, you may register on behalf of your child via our website. After you provide the required registration information, you will receive an email with information regarding your child's registration. The email will provide instructions for how to verify that you have provided registration information on behalf of your child and that you consent to the collection of certain personal information from your child.
As described further in the email, to provide such verification and consent, you must participate in a live videoconference with Purple Customer Care. You will be required to provide a government-issued photo identification to identify yourself. The email will also provide instructions for how you can delete your child's registration profile, if you would like.
Purple will not condition your child's use of Purple's products and services on your consent to data collection beyond what is reasonably necessary for Purple to provide its products and services to your child. Purple's products and services do not allow children to make their personal information publicly available.
Purple may use personal information that it collects from your child to provide video relay service support and to allow your child to use our services, such as completing and receiving calls and maintaining a contact list. Purple may also use personal information it collects from your child in connection with federal or other legal requirements, such as responding to a subpoena or court order, providing information as required by FCC regulations, or providing information for purposes of emergency communications.
You have the right to ask Purple to allow you to review information Purple has collected about your child, to stop collecting personal information about your minor child, or to delete information it has on file about your minor child at any time. You may exercise these rights by contacting Purple Customer Care at 866-932-7891. Purple will comply with your request within a reasonable time.
12. Rights and Information Applicable to California Residents
If you are a California resident, please review the following information about your potential rights with regard to your personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA"). The rights described herein are subject to exemptions and other limitations under applicable law. Terms used in this section have the meaning given to them in the CCPA. Under the CCPA, Purple is a business. For purposes of this section only and with regard to California residents only, personal information includes information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a California resident or a household. Personal information does not include deidentified information, aggregate consumer information, or publicly available information, as those terms are defined in the CCPA.
Our Collection, Use, Disclosure, and Sharing of Personal Information
• In the preceding 12 months: (i) we may have collected all or some of the categories of personal information listed above in Section 1, and (ii) we may have disclosed all or some of the same categories listed in Section 1 for a business purpose.
• We may collect personal information from all or some of the categories of sources listed in Section 2.
• We may collect and use personal information for the business or commercial purposes listed above in Section 3.
• We may share personal information with the categories of third parties listed in Section 4
• We may disclose your personal information to our service providers or other entities that have agreed to limitations on the use of your personal information or that fit within other exemptions or exceptions in or as otherwise permitted by the CCPA.
Rights Applicable to California Residents
A user or visitor who is a California resident as defined under the CCPA may have certain rights concerning their personal information, subject to applicable exemptions and limitations, such as the right to:
(1) Be informed, at or before the point of collection, of the categories of personal information to be collected and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used.
(2) Request that we delete any personal information about you that we have collected or maintained, subject to certain exceptions ("request to delete"). We reserve the right to retain, and not to delete, certain personal information after receipt of a request to delete from you where permitted by the CCPA or where another law or regulation is applicable. We may retain your personal information if doing so is necessary for us or our service providers to, for example:
• Maintain your access to and usage of video relay services.
• Comply with a legal obligation.
• Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us.
• Complete a transaction for which we collect the personal information, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between us and you.
• Use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
(3) Request that we, as a business that collects personal information about you and that discloses your personal information for a business purpose, disclose to you ("request to know"):
• The categories of personal information we have collected about you.
• The categories of sources from which we collected the personal information.
• The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information, where applicable.
• The categories of third parties with whom we share personal information.
• The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
• The categories of personal information we have disclosed about you for a business purpose.
(4) Not be discriminated against because you exercised any of your rights under the CCPA.
The CCPA does not restrict our ability to do certain things like comply with other laws or comply with regulatory investigations. In addition, the CCPA does not apply to certain information, including, generally, personal information collected, processed, sold or disclosed pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1995 and its implementing rules and regulations. We also reserve the right to retain, and not to delete, certain personal information after receipt of a request to delete by users or visitors where permitted by the CCPA or another law or regulation. For example, the FCC requires that we retain certain records for five years and we will continue to abide by this regulatory obligation even if we receive a request to delete such information during the relevant period.
How to Submit a CCPA Request
California resident users or visitors may submit requests to know or requests to delete through the following toll-free telephone number Purple Customer Care at 866-932-7891, or via email at help@Purple.com.
We are required to provide certain information or delete personal information only in response to verifiable requests made by you or your legally authorized agent. We may need to request specific information from you or your agent to help us confirm your identify or your agent's authorization to act on your behalf and ensure your right to access the requested information. Any information gathered in this process will be used for verification purposes only.
We will deliver responses to verifiable consumer requests, free of charge, either through your online account with us, if you have such an account already, or, if you do not have a pre-existing online account, by mail or electronically, at your election.
We will try to respond to your requests to know or to delete within forty-five (45) days of receipt of the request. If we require more time, we will try to inform you of our need for an extension. Even with an extension, we will try to provide a response within ninety (90) days of initial receipt of the request.
Keep in mind that we are not required to provide information in response to requests to know more than twice in a 12-month period. Any response to a request to know will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable request.
13. Purple's Right to Contact Users
The foregoing policy was last updated and is effective as of January 1, 2020. Purple reserves the right to change this policy at any time. Changes to the policy will be posted to this page, and if changes are significant, a summary of the changes will be posted at the beginning of the policy.
15. Contact Information
If you have any questions about this policy, you may contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail to the attention of Legal Department, Purple, 11900 N. Jollyville Road #204209, Austin, TX 78759
©2011-2020 Purple Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. Purple, Purple Communications, the hands logo, P3, POP, PurpleMail, Purple Netbook and SmartVP are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Purple Communications, Inc. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.